I am part of a working group looking into the various possible models
and architectures which might support a consortium or national approach
to Institutional repositories in Ireland.

My specific task at this stage is to work with a collaegue and clarify
and elaborate on the pros and cons of a totally distributed model. I am
currently a little bit confused as to whether there are in fact any
ways of satisfactorily searching and retrieving metadata from these
repositories on-the-fly, with no pre-harvesting and would welcome any
feedback from those who may be doing this at present, perhaps as part
of a federated search system.

The literature I have to hand suggests that none of the currently
popular IR packages (ePrints, DSpace etc) supports Z39.50 so I need to
clarify whether this whole approach is viable at all, without any
harvesting via OAI-PMH taking place.

All information gratefully received.

Regards,

Ros Pan