Douglas,

Have you seen the Introduction page for the ACLS (American Council
of Learned Societies) History E-Book Project entitled 'The New Monograph:
A Digital Portal'?

    http://www.historyebook.org/intro2.html

Is this they are proposing that e-only books be used for scholarly
monograph publishing in the future. Their current collection is mainly
traditional e-books.

It is not unusual for latecomers to a new technology (scientists were
first to exploit e-publishing) to step over the hybrid or intermediate
stage and go straight to the pure form.

Regards,

John Smith,
The Templeman Library,