From: "Jonathan Smart" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: ILG- Strap lines

(Apologies - sent initially to individual members rather than list - having
a bad day...)

Having thought about it, the best I could come up with was

'Turning information into knowledge'

(maybe slightly inspired by something Gwyneth Price said at LILAC), though
I'm finding with these strap lines generally that the dividing line between
conveying something worthwhile and producing out and out clichés is very
narrow indeed.

Having read Sheila's thoughts, I now feel  that there is much merit in
waiting as she suggests until we're sure we have a common enough shared
understanding of our core business to feel comfortable about signing up to a
strap line (though I acknowledge that whatever we come up with won't please
everyone). For example, I cannot relate to one of the feelings previously
expressed that we should avoid including the term 'learning' when we promote
positive associations with IL, and, for e.g, the teaching and learning
process, lifelong learning, and learning how to learn - isn't part of our
aim to relate to wider professional groups?

Jonathan

Jonathan Smart,
Academic Support Co-ordinator (Skills),
Room 201, Library,