For info.

Date:    Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:46:10 +0100
From:    Tim Buckley Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: CILIP's Strategic Plan promises improved services and increased
investment

CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals
7 Ridgmount St, London WC1E 7AE.

Tel: 020 7255 0500
Textphone: 020 7255 0505
Fax: 020 7255 0501
Email: [log in to unmask]

News from CILIP
Tuesday 5 April 2005
For immediate release  (Please copy to online discussion lists)

CILIP's Strategic Plan promises improved services and increased =
investment

Ethics, equal opportunities and information literacy given priority in =
one-year plan for 2005-06

Increased investment in the new Framework of Qualifications, further =
development of the CILIP website and improvements to CILIP's technical =
infrastructure are among the goals set out in CILIP's Strategic Plan for
=
2005-06.  Published at the start of CILIP's new governance year in April
=
2005, the Plan also provides for the extension of the Institute's =
programmes on ethics, equal opportunities and information literacy.=20

Improved services for members, and more powerful advocacy on the =
profession's behalf will be key outcomes of CILIP's investment =
programme.  It will introduce new arrangements for qualifications and =
for accreditation of courses; it will develop stronger communities of =
practice; and it will offer more scope for networking and knowledge =
sharing.  CILIP will also make better use of technology, continue to =
grow its business, and provide more opportunities for Member =
involvement. =20

Further improvements to CILIP's technical infrastructure will include a
=
new database for membership and qualifications, a new accounting system,
=
and a replacement programme for desktop PCs at CILIP's London
offices.=20

Finally, this plan is designed to increase CILIP's financial =
sustainability, and provide a clear strategic direction for the =
Institute in the future.  In total it will add up to =A3639,000 worth of
=
additional investment during 2005.  Good financial stewardship and =
strong business growth by CILIP Enterprises means that CILIP can invest
=
substantially in its future while at the same time delivering a balanced
=
budget and maintaining reserves at a prudent level.  This investment =
will provide the platform on which we build the future shape and =
strategic direction of the leading membership body for library and =
information professionals in the UK.

CILIP has evolved rapidly and successfully over its first three years, =
and now needs to build on that success and determine its future =
direction and shape. "This one-year Plan for 2005-06 explains how we =
will consolidate our existing initiatives," the Plan states.  "We will =
continue to improve services for members and the wider library and =
information community.  We will increase investment in technology and =
core activities.  And we will look ahead with further work to clarify =
the future shape and strategic direction of CILIP in the emerging =
information society.  We are passionate about the value of information =
and ambitious for the role of information professionals. CILIP - and =
CILIP members - need to be at the heart of the emerging information =
society."

CILIP members can see the full text of the Strategic Plan by going to =
www.cilip.org.uk/aboutcilip/annualreport and following links.  Members =
who are not currently registered to use the members-only area will need
=
to register online first, by following the on-screen instructions.

Contact: Tim Buckley Owen, Head of Membership, Marketing & Media.
Tel: 020 7255 0652
Email: [log in to unmask] =
<Mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Debbi Boden