Apologies for cross posting

Are you interested in the development of teaching and learning in a library and information context?

As part of a National Teaching Fellowship I am engaged in a funded project to establish an international community of practice amongst library and information staff who teach.  Please note that this is not simply aimed at those of us in education libraries (School, College or University) but at all library and information sectors.

I have been involved in teaching and learning as a librarian for many years, both as a subject librarian and with the Edulib project and its spin offs.  My project comes from a belief that teaching and learning is a core part of our professional identity and we should not only recognise this but take active steps to include it in our professional development.  Although many of us have teaching qualifications, and are actively engaged in developing teaching skills, I believe that the nature of the teaching in which we engage is distinctive enough to warrant investigation and discussion in the same way that say historians or chemists have their own networks.  The project is intended to work on the pedagogy of learning and teaching in our context and not necessarily the content, building on projects like Edulib and Big Blue.  It will not be looking to duplicate the excellent work done on information literacy by Information Science educators and colleagues across the world, as evidenced by IFLA, eLit and the forthcoming LILAC conference.

At the core of the project will be a Web portal on teaching and learning for information professionals bringing together best practice, learning objects and case studies on issues like learner motivation, delivery methods, assessment and evaluation in our context.  I am looking for collaborators to work with me on this exciting, and I think, vital project.  If you are interested please contact me at [log in to unmask] or 01604 892229 or accost me at LILAC

Chris Powis

Learning Support Co-ordinator

University College Northampton

Boughton Green Road