Thanks Jonathan for raising this. I've been hearing a few similar comments
from others recently.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the word i-skills myself. However I
don't think i-skills is just a new fangled term for information literacy,
though the documents produced by the I-skills programme do occasionally
conflate the two.

It seems to me that there are two sides to the picture. Staff need firstly
information management know-how - part of which may be information
literacy - and secondly for institutions to invest in systems to support
their work. An effective 'information literate' organisation would develop
both the staff and the systems and the two are interdependent.

I wouldn't want to minimise the importance of terminology (which can
influence expectations and perceptions) but I think the main focus needs
to steer away from definitions and focus on the opportunities which the
JISC I-skills programme documents present to us, for critical reflection
on practice.

It is possible to read the documents not as prescriptive but as a stimulus
for debate and service development within institutions.

This is just my personal view.

Lis

Lis Parcell
HE Coordinator and Learning Resources Advisor (and former subject librarian)
RSC Wales
www.rsc-wales.ac.uk