I agree completely
We have also been using mind maps for many years. we call them subject
maps in order to make a slight distinction from Bazans work. In an
Information retrieval context they have a specific application re
identifying search terms as well as the construction of subjects.

I have come to believe that mind maps are present in all aspects of
information retrieval. This is true even in a shelf search for an
individual or at the enquiry desk where the traditional reference
interview is teasing one out- it just does not often get written down.
We now try to point this out at the enquiry desk- building on the info
literacy sessions we have had with some groups or introducing others to
the idea.

Nicola

>>> Lynn Barrett <[log in to unmask]> 02/22/05 07:24am

Hi -

We have been using mind mapping at Dixons CTC for several years.  We
started with Inspiration, which is still used, particularly by younger
students, but now also have MindManager from Mindjet.com.  It is a very
sophisticated tool, but the students love it.  It allows more text on
screen than Inspiration and a greater degree of export possibilities.
However, regardless of the tool, the concept of mapping is hugely
beneficial in terms of developing thinking and organisational skills.
We had a considerable grant from the Learning Skills Development Agency
last year to do some action research with AVCE students specifically to
improve their IL skills, and, along with developing effective
questioning skills, mindmapping played a major role in what we did.  If
anyone would like to know more about the project, please contact me
(though I will be away from tomorrow to March 16th).

Regards,
Lynn Barrett