Hi,

Debate about terminology ... ISkills, information skills, information
literacy etc sometimes seems interminable and yet I think fundamental.

I would argue that although there are good definitions of what we preceive
as IL there is still confusion about how what we teach/facilitate/focus on
fits into the wider picture of independent learning.  This lack of clarity
is probably the reason why we have not been entirely successful
communicating with others outside our field.

IL is NOT the only route to independent learning.  It is only one subset,
albeit probably the most relevant to the most people, however if we argue
that it is all encompassing we are likely to be ignored.

The following hopes to identify how IL fits in to the wider picture of
independent learning ... for discussion of course ;)

Independent learning (which is what I think we are trying to enable) has
different facets.  One such facet is concerned with undertaking systematic
research.  Other independent learning takes place through doing and informal
observation.

Systematic research tends to take two forms: primary research and secondary
research.  Primary is when we conduct experiments and collect data which
tends to be turned into secondary sources of information (articles, books,
Web reports etc.).  Often primary research is preceeded by secondary
research to see what others have done in a similar area i.e. they are not
mutually exclusive.

Secondary research uses secondary resources.  This tends to be what school
children do when the do their projects or undergraduates when they do their
coursework and their final year project, or postgraduates, especially for
their thesis and again (with even more rigour) for the PhD.  We then have
people in the work place conducting research and finally 'real-life'
information seeking among the general public.  This independent learning
ability is learnt via the educational system, through courses or
independently and enables someone to be a lifelong learner.

Although information literacy frameworks, such as ANZIL, ACRL etc. do
mention primary research the bulk of IL guidelines, definitions etc. focus
on doing secondary research.  IL definitions/instruction does not encompass
primary research i.e. the gathering of data.  Nor do they tend to cover the
area of knowledge management.  Hence in terms of independent learning and
doing research IL community tends to focus on the use of information and not
data or knowledge.

IL is therefore only a subset of the attitudes and knowledge associated with
Independent Learning.  Unless we recognise this fact, and are able to
explain to others where IL fits in, then we will confuse others and find it
difficult to get acceptance.  One of the things that does add to confusion
is that when IL guidelines talk about attitudes they tend to talk about
values and norms that span independent learning in general and are not
specific to IL.  Another complication is that in specific subject domains
and work environments independent learning, let alone information literacy,
is not consciously recognised even though it is a fundamental part of what
people do.

For example when a Biology teacher ask a student to do an experiment they
are not thinking about independent learning.  They are learning Biology and
yet they are doing research and learning (hopefully) general skills about
doing primary research which could be part of their independent learning
tool kit that may be applied in later life.  Ideally from an IL perspective
the teacher would incorporate in this experiment some review of secondary
information that relates to the experiment.  This is may not be done and it
is unlikely that there a conscious recognition that independent learning is
being learnt.  Similarly in a company when a market research is being done
this will involve both primary and secondary research.  The fact that the
person is drawing on their independent learning and IL ability is not
recognised.

We therefore need to be clear about what we do and don't do, under the
heading of information literacy, and how this is only a sub set of
independent learning.  We also need to be able to see how what we call
information literacy fits into what other people do so that we can convince
them of the need to consciously focus on what we term information literacy,
i.e. the bit we tend to know more about than most people, along side their
other research skills.

We also presumably need to think about whether our role is to foster
independent learning in general in which case we would need to know as much
about doing primary research and managing data, as well as knowledge
management, as we do secondary sources (information).  Alternativley we need
to engage with people who are involved with (teaching or applying) primary
research and explain how IL is a complementary part of the research process
and the wider ability to learn independently.

If we assume that IL is the be all and end all of independent learning then
we will not be able to engage and communicate effectively with others who
are involved with independent learning, research skills and IL especially
where they see these attitudes and skills as a part of what they do - and
are not consciously aware that they are part of the broader remit of
independent learning.

Any thoughts?

Mark
Dr. Mark Hepworth