> e Even a term like lifelong learning
> can be off-putting and patronising to some people.

I agree - I work in the adult continuing education department at the
University of Sheffield. Our current name is Institute for Lifelong
Learning and our mission is to attract widening participation-type
students.

Across the front of our building is a big sign saying 'School of
Education, Institute for Lifelong Learning'. As somebody pointed
out to me that sign has 4 words that are really off-putting to
someone whose educational experience has not been a happy one
- 'school', 'education', 'institute' and 'learning'.

So you have to be very careful with straplines...

Verity
Dr E V Brack
Access & Flexible Learning Development Officer
Institute for Lifelong Learning
University of Sheffield
196-8 West Street
SHEFFIELD S1 4ET