Hi Lucy

We've tested issuing Short Loans with bookings on our 3M self-issue
machines and, as Lesha says, the machines will not issue them at all even
if there's only 1 booking away in the future.  So to make Self-Issue Short
Loan work you would have to abandon the bookings system or wait for
Innovative to come up with a fix - which doesn't seem imminent.

At 23/11/2005 09:27, you wrote:

>------_=_NextPart_001_01C5F010.0E8AB07D
>
>Hello,
>
>=20
>
>We are considering reserving one of our 3M selfcheck machines for use in
>the short loan collection, but are concerned about  how to deal with
>items which have bookings. Currently, if a user checks out an item which
>is booked for a future time, we will let them have the item with a
>shortened loan period. If the user with the booking is very late
>collecting the item, (more than an hour), we will override the booking
>and let another user take the item.
>
>=20
>
>We are reluctant to let the machines issue booked items with a truncated
>due time, as students are unlikely to pay attention to the receipt and
>will expect the usual 7 hour loan. Another option (if it is possible)
>would be to prevent any items with bookings from being issued by the
>machine and send the user to the issue desk. As we do not get a huge
>number of bookings on short loans, this shouldn't cause much extra work
>for the issue desk staff.
>
>=20
>
>Is anyone using self-check machines in a similar situation, and how do
>you deal with bookings? Any advice would be appreciated,
>
>=20
>
>Lucy
>
>=20
>
>=20
>
>Lucy Clifford
>
>Systems and Database Support Manager
>
>City University Library
>
>=20
>
>Email: [log in to unmask]
>
>Tel: 020 7040 4130
>
>=20
>

>------_=_NextPart_001_01C5F010.0E8AB07D
>
>Hello,
>

>We are considering reserving one of our 3M selfcheck machines for use in
>the short loan collection, but are concerned about =  how to deal with
>items which have bookings. Currently, if a user checks out = an item which
>is booked for a future time, we will let them have the item with a
>shortened loan period. If the user with the booking is very late =
>collecting the item, (more than an hour), we will override the booking and
>let another = user take the item.
>

>We are reluctant to let the machines issue booked = items with a truncated
>due time, as students are unlikely to pay attention to the = receipt and
>will expect the usual 7 hour loan. Another option (if it is = possible)
>would be to prevent any items with bookings from being issued by the
>machine = and send the user to the issue desk. As we do not get a huge
>number of bookings = on short loans, this shouldn't cause much extra work
>for the issue desk = staff.
>

>Is anyone using self-check machines in a similar = situation, and how do
>you deal with bookings? Any advice would be = appreciated,
>

>Lucy
>

>Lucy Clifford
>
>Systems and Database Support = Manager
>
>City = University Library

> [...]