I was wondering what librarians make of the use of secretaries/"clericals"
to correct GCE/GCSE at Edexcel - having applied for a post as an assistant
examiner (apparently 3 and a half British degrees, as a PG in MFL and so
on, plus 6 A levels) is not good enough. EFL practice and private teaching
don't count either (btw, I heard that broken up by script, it works out to
50 pence per corrected script). We are accustomed in librarianship to
seeing what used to be professional work clericalised, but just had an
email from Edexcel and their mantra is that they only use experienced/PGCE
qualified staff - regardless of what the Guardian (pace the Edexcel
spokesman !) says - I also tutor privately, my latest student just been
accepted for Oxford (to do a proper degree in MFL).

Perhaps the topic of who corrects the exams can be linked to an article in
our journal ?