Following up on a post last year from Leslie Crashaw on LIS-E re free
journal archives from the Pscyhonomic Society. (Psychonomic Society
Journals Archive available from 1993-2000. Wed 4/14/2004 10:36 AM)
Leslie said: "Journals archives are beginning to appear all over the
place, but finding out about their existence is not always easy."

FEBS Letters seems to be available free as far as its backfiles (archive
volumes) from 1968, vol. 1 no. 1 to a date I can't easily determine to
everyone at Science Direct.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00145793

Is there a list of other titles at Elsevier or other publishers who have
generally not done much publicity of their free backfile access? These
don't seem to be open access journals, but runs of free -archives. I
know, for example, that some of the society and association backfiles on
the Blackwell's Synergy site are similarly available free-but there
doesn't seem to be much notification of this-its sort of stumble on them
experience.

I'm particularly interested in this practice from commercial publisher
sites, even if the titles are society for association titles.

Highwire of course is well known for working with its publishers to make
extensive archives available.

But I suspect several other commercial publishers are doing this as
well, perhaps spurred on by contract negotiations with new societies
they are signing on or at negotiation time with existing society
contracts. There doesn't seem to be a single source for identifying the
free archives of such titles. Or, I may have missed where to go to find
them.

Chuck Hamaker
UNC Charlotte
Charlotte, NC USA