-----Original Message-----
From: An informal open list set up by the UK Serials Group
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Lesley Crawshaw
Sent: 21 September 2005 14:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LIS-E-JOURNALS] Pricing Policy for Online Journals
Published by MA Healthcare Ltd.

Hi,

We have institutional subscriptions to two MA Healthcare Ltd. journals which
are now available electronically through their own web sites, Hospital
Medicine (also known as British Journal of Hospital Medicine) and
International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation.

We recently enquired about the pricing for online only access to these two
journals for 2006 and were shocked to find that they will now cost £1500
each. This is roughly three times the price we paid for online access in
2005 for Hospital Medicine and roughly five times what we paid for print
only access in 2005 for International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation.
I should also point out that despite several emails between myself and MA
Healthcare Ltd. that we still haven't had any online access to Hospital
Medicine this year, and I am still trying to get that resolved.

We had tried to find this information on their web site at:
http://www.markallengroup.com/healthcare/index.html, but pricing for
institutional subscriptions is not detailed on the web site, which is very
unhelpful.

I have contacted MA Healthcare Ltd. and was told that the pricing reflected
the fact that many more users would be able to access the journal online,
than would have been able to access the print and also that users would also
have access to the online archive. I have expressed my concern about such a
pricing hike, especially when that information has not been communicated to
us either through the web site or via our agent.

Whilst I could accept the pricing increase (reluctantly) for Hospital
Medicine because it has a wide "appeal", I consider the price hike for
International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation to be totally
unacceptable as the audience for this within our institution is much more
limited.

Have any others out there moved to online only for these two titles? Have
others considered moving to online only, but have been put off by the
pricing? Have others upgraded their subscriptions to online only without
being aware of the price hike to move these journals online only.

We also have an online only subscription to InterNurse, which contains 8 MA
Healthcare Ltd. journals, and which costs around £230/title.

What I don't understand is why Hospital Medicine and International Journal
of Therapy and Rehabilitation couldn't have been added to this collection.

Do any others out there share my concerns about massive hikes in prices when
some journals go online?

Cheers

Lesley

Lesley Crawshaw, Faculty Information Consultant

Learning and Information Services

University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, AL10 9AB