-----Original Message-----
From: An informal open list set up by the UK Serials Group
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lesley Crawshaw
Sent: 04 January 2005 17:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Publishers Cutting Off Our Access Even Though They've Been
Paid!! - Adopting a Gracing Period Could Have Avoided All the Pain

Hi,

It's only my first day back at work and already we've found that we've
lost electronic access to a number of our subscriptions. At present we
don't know the scale of the problem. Whilst many publishers/learned
societies have adopted gracing periods to avoid customers losing access
whilst renewals are processed by publishers etc., many
publishers/learned societies still don't appear to have got the message
about the need for gracing, especially in the eonly world where loss of
access can mean losing access to all available online material
(depending on the subscription model of the journal).

What makes it even more frustrating is that in the two cases I've just
been looking at - not only did our access get cut off on the 31st
December 2004, but the cheques from our agents to these publishers for
our subscriptions have already been cashed. So in these two cases
payment has been made, but we have still lost access. There is no
justice in this.

For information here are the two journals concerned.

1. Chest - published by the American College of Chest Physicians 2.
Mycologia - published by the Mycological Society of America

Both of these publishers/societies could have avoided these problems (or
at least give time for these problems to get sorted out) by having a
grace period.

How do we get the message across to those publishers/societies who
haven't adopted gracing periods that this is something that is essential
today?

Cheers
Lesley