We have two new courses taking place in January:

Digital Rights Management - 30 January 2006
(www.aslib.com/training/4/28.html)
Programme Features:
Most libraries and organisations working with information will create,
store and supply digital information. In order to make sure that none of
these practices full foul of the copyright legislation and also to ensure
that all these activities are carried out within a controlled environment,
it is essential that they look towards solutions offered by ICT, such as
Digital Rights Management. This one day workshop will provide an overview
of the key areas, tips and advice relating to Digital Rights Management for
library and information professionals set within an informal learning
environment. Participants will be encouraged to work in groups in order to
share ideas and discuss various issues.
Topics covered include:
- Providing an overview of the current legal landscape
- Why is rights management important?
- What is Digital Rights Management (DRM) and its context for library and
	information professionals?
- Benefits of DRM and when it might be used?
- Relationship between DRM, digital preservation, digitisation and licensing
- What systems should be used to manage rights?
- Embedding DRM within daily work
- Industry standards
- Recent studies and reports about DRM

Making Money from Copyright - NEW  31 January 2006
(www.aslib.com/training/4/27.html)
Programme Features:
Copyright is often perceived as a threat, however, handled in the right way
it can provide opportunities to generate income. This one day workshop will
provide an overview of the main issues for library and information
professionals set within an informal learning environment. Participants
will be encouraged to work in groups in order to share ideas and discuss
various issues.
Topics covered include:
- Providing an overview of the current copyright landscape
- Examining the different types of content that may be protected by
copyright
- Understanding what rights can be exploited
- An analysis of internal processes & ownership issues
- Looking at different ways in which rights can be exploited and by whom?
- Developing a licensing toolkit to handle rights
- Setting up internal processes to handle income generation
- Looking at alternative models
- Understanding the restrictions to income generation
- Building a repertoire of contacts

Details of Aslib's courses in December and January are listed below:

DECEMBER

8th - Online Searching and Strategies  (www.aslib.com/training/6/04.html)

9th - Enquiry Handling - find an answer ever time
(www.aslib.com/training/4/11.html)

13th - Knowledge Management  (www.aslib.com/training/3/01.html)

14th - Understanding and Assessing Information Needs
(www.aslib.com/training/4/24.html)

15th - Information Literacy  (www.aslib.com/training/4/18.html)

JANUARY 2006

24th - British Company Law (www.aslib.com/training/1/01.html)

25th - Copyright for Information Providers - An Introduction
(www.aslib.com/training/4/07.html)

26th - Copyright for Information Providers - Advanced
(www.aslib.com/training/4/26.html)
(Just one place remains!)

30th - Digital Rights Management (www.aslib.com/training/4/28.html) NEW

31st - Making Money From Copyright (www.aslib.com/training/4/27.html) NEW

All our courses are available as onsite events - please email me for a
quote.

If you have any enquiries about these or future events, please email me at

I hope to see you at Aslib in December, but if not, may I wish you a very
merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Kind regards,
Nicole Adamides ([log in to unmask])
Aslib Training, The Holywell Centre, 1 Phipp Street, London, EC2A 4PS
Tel: 020 7613 3031              Fax: 020 7613 5080

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/