Its an interesting report.  It tells me that as a solo female school
librarian I am pretty much earning the same as my colleagues around the rest
of the country.

I like the point about low salary being linked to low self-esteem.  When I
was appointed 5 years ago, the Headteacher put me on a low pay grade.  She
didn't seem to like the library and didn't really support me.  As a result,
I felt worthless.  However, under our new Headteacher, I have thrived.
First thing he did when he was appointed was to upgrade me to the same
payscale as the other school librarians in Luton.  I feel so valued and
appreciated these days, not just by him but by staff and pupils.  Its a
pleasure to come to work every day.

I do think this survey is helpful, because it can help qualified colleagues
to prove their case about having pay rises.  it is also interesting to see
the differences between different sectors.  I guess I am not surprised that
commercial sector librarians earn more than public sector colleagues.
However, like my teaching friends and I say, we aren't in school for the
money!!

Anyone else got some interesting thoughts about this report?
Mrs M Price
Putteridge High School
LUTON

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/