From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of John Hilsdon
Sent: 20 July 2005 15:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Software - and Blogging

Two things:

ONE: Hi Anne-Kathrin

The list has been very quiet recently so I don't think you are missing out.

The default position is that if you hit 'reply' now you will reply only to the original sender - so you have to make the effort to include the whole list.

Not sure if it's 'ideal' but we haven't recently had any 'bunging-up-the-boxes' complaints!

TWO: I've been meaning to write to the list for a while asking if anyone out there is blogging or using blogs with students.  I've been very impressed with the Warwick university system -  http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/

And am trying to establish a project here in Plymouth.  Have three academics willing to have a try ... my list of suggested purposes for investigation are below - here's an extract from the proposal I sent out:

I want to investigate the possibility of establishing a mechanism to host student blogs (via a notional intranet area) wherein students will be encouraged to record (perhaps using anonymised aliases) and compare their experiences of study at the UoP – progress made, eureka moments, experience of particular tasks, assignments or material, the highs, the lows, frustrations, joys, human and cultural factors etc.

UoP Bloggers would be asked their permission to use/reproduce selected contents of their blogs, and I envisage a number of potentially valuable outcomes, such as:

•           Providing data for research into the student experience

•           Investigating the role of reflective writing in learning

•           Exploring possible e-learning implications of blogging and related technologies

•           Enhancing the university’s quality mechanisms in terms of obtaining feedback and evaluation

•           Supporting the development of learning communities in particular discipline areas

Any thoughts, folks?

John Hilsdon

Co-ordinator, Learning Development

University of Plymouth