  -----Original Message-----
  From: learning development in higher education network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of John Hilsdon
  Sent: 20 July 2005 15:47
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Re: Software - and Blogging

  Two things:

  ONE: Hi Anne-Kathrin

  The list has been very quiet recently so I don't think you are missing
out.

  The default position is that if you hit 'reply' now you will reply only to
the original sender - so you have to make the effort to include the whole
list.

  Not sure if it's 'ideal' but we haven't recently had any
'bunging-up-the-boxes' complaints!

  TWO: I've been meaning to write to the list for a while asking if anyone
out there is blogging or using blogs with students.  I've been very
impressed with the Warwick university system -  http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/

  And am trying to establish a project here in Plymouth.  Have three
academics willing to have a try ... my list of suggested purposes for
investigation are below - here's an extract from the proposal I sent out:

  I want to investigate the possibility of establishing a mechanism to host
student blogs (via a notional intranet area) wherein students will be
encouraged to record (perhaps using anonymised aliases) and compare their
experiences of study at the UoP - progress made, eureka moments, experience
of particular tasks, assignments or material, the highs, the lows,
frustrations, joys, human and cultural factors etc.

  UoP Bloggers would be asked their permission to use/reproduce selected
contents of their blogs, and I envisage a number of potentially valuable
outcomes, such as:

  .           Providing data for research into the student experience

  .           Investigating the role of reflective writing in learning

  .           Exploring possible e-learning implications of blogging and
related technologies

  .           Enhancing the university's quality mechanisms in terms of
obtaining feedback and evaluation

  .           Supporting the development of learning communities in
particular discipline areas

  Any thoughts, folks?

  John Hilsdon

  Co-ordinator, Learning Development