LHC Computer Grid - Rollout
> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Leif Nixon said:
> For example, I have a bioinfo user (on Nordugrid, not LCG) who manages
> his workload by sending out a steady stream of generic grid jobs. On
> execution start, the jobs phone home by XMLRPC to a director server
> and ask for their actual computation task.

That's basically what LHCb are doing on LCG. It seems to have been
pretty effective in maximising the use of resources.

> Other users have huge datasets where you don't know beforehand what
> data the job will need, and where you really want to access your data
> through a database search, not by file transfer, because of the way
> the data is structured.

Also one of the HEP use cases which hasn't been tackled so far is to do
partial reads of files - if you only want one event from a file it would
be a lot more efficient to just read that event from a remote SE, than
to replicate the whole file locally, copy it again to a local disk and
then read through it to find the event ...

> You know, totally firewalling the resources might make them a less
> attractive target for bad guys, but it sure makes them less attractive
> to potential users, as well.

How many of the operational problems we have in LCG are related to
firewalls? 50%? How much manpower goes in solving them? Of course, one
reason it's so bad is that the people who designed the internet
protocols didn't take security into account. Nice to know that EGEE
middleware has built in security right from the start, like it said in
the proposal documents ... :)

Stephen