On ב', 2005-10-17 at 10:35 +0100, Kostas Georgiou wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 10:44:42AM +0200, Louis Poncet wrote:
>
> > There is a huge problem for linux+ppc (java 1.4 from sun does not
> > exist).
>
> The ibm jdk runs fine in ppclinux, it's even part of RHEL3/4
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/tested.html
>
> > And i really think that we should give more effort to port to another
> > Unix system than another linux to keep compatibility (espacially
> > RH7.3 which is no more support by redhat).
I don't see much of perspective to support such an obsolete
distribution. It has much more logic to support e.g. Debian 3.x system.

rh7.3 has no visible advantage except it is already installed on some
systems... well, if we analyze what system is installed more commonly -
RH73 vs Debian, I _think_ Debian will outnumber ( sorry, I haven't have
figures :( )

> Agreed, but a ppclinux port shouldn't take any effort in theory,
> just a recompile and some fixes for the parts of the code that haven't
> heard about big endian cpus ;P

I still don't understand what stops us from using windows worker nodes:
( I mean, there are maintained windows networks in the world, with all
the security patches, and managed wisely... I can tell this by windows
related traffic created by windows users on condor-users mailing list )
1. it is not a big deal to have Cygwin+perl/matlab/java on a windows
system.
2. there's pbspro ( for fee) and condor (for free) for windows.

Best regards,
Max.

--
Maxim Kovgan