I need an exact list (a cut and paste of the apt-get error).
I'll ask for the green light to inestigate SL4.

Lp

--

Louis Poncet

Where: Bat28-R-003 CERN

CH-1211 Geneve 23

Mail : [log in to unmask]

Phone: +41(0)227.674.231

LAL / IN2P3 / CNRS / CERN

Problem >> RTFM then google it !

On 10 mai 05, at 19:12, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:

Steve Traylen wrote:

It would interesting if you could post a list of the hard RPM dependency
errors you hit. My suspicion would be that most of them of not needed
anyway. The likelihood is that the LCG code stands a very good chance
of just working as is on SL4.

Unfortunately it was urgent to succesfully install LCG on these nodes, so yesterday we tried SL4 and today we reinstalled SL3.

However I can say for sure that the problems didn't seem that important:
1) Many problems occured because we had version 0.8.3 (example) of a library instead of 0.6.x that a package on the SL3 LCG repository wanted. This should in most cases be fixed by relaxing the version dependendency in the RPMs.
2) Some other problems occured because the packages needed were not found. In one case that I looked at,  it was a simple change of name of the package that prevented apt from finding it.

If you think the port of the packages is easy it would be interesting to make public an SL4 LCG repository to let us test it.

Dimitris