Yo,

hmmm.

The problem Dan brings up is one that's going to happen more and more
often, so it would be good to approach it the right way.  I disagree
with Flavia and Dan about what that way is.

The system should be designed so that it is *possible* but not
*mandatory* to specify which center.  Also I think it's just plain
dreaming that a user will take the trouble to figure out how to use some
far-flung ROC's ticketing system; the objection "yes but then make all
ROCs use the same system" is also dreaming.

A user will in general know two support channels at most.
Firstly his / her local expert (if there is one) or else the local ROC
support structure.
Secondly GGUS.

If the user knows it's not a local problem, and has a good idea where it
is, why not allow the user to submit the ticket to GGUS and to specify a
'likely responsible site'.  This makes intuitive sense to me: "the
problem is not at my site, so I submit it to the LCG support desk
instead and tell them where I think it is".

A large fraction of the time (getting larger every month), the user
simply *does not know* where the problem is.  We got a mail yesterday
from a user here who said "i can't put a file on the storage element".
no indication of what command used, *which* storage element, manually or
from within a job, etc.  Then it doesn't help to let the user specify
the problem site ... this is why it should not be mandatory to specify one.

				JT