Hi,

the /usr/bin/lsb_release -i -r idea from Kostas seems to have
potential.  The only thing that is missing is some generic tag, since
SL and CentOS are really two derivatives of RHEL.  Perhaps we could do
the following:

name: EL for enterprise Linux, RHC red hat classic numbering scheme,
etc.
version: the "distributor ID" as provided by /usr/bin/lsb_release -i
release: the release number as provided by /usr/bin/lsb_release -i -r

Here is the output I got from four systems, along with what the Glue
Schema would contain if we go with the above proposal:

lxplus.cern.ch
Distributor ID: ScientificCERN
Release:        3.0.3

Name: EL
Version: ScientificCERN
Release: 3.0.3
==================================

tbn20.nikhef.nl (our new CE)
Distributor ID: CentOS
Release:        3.3

Name: EL
Version: CentOS
Release: 3.3
===================================

juno.nikhef.nl (my desktop)
Distributor ID: RedHat
Release:        7.3

Name: RHC
Version: RedHat
Release: 7.3
===================================

my laptop
dhcp-122:~ templon$ /usr/bin/lsb_release -i -r
-bash: /usr/bin/lsb_release: No such file or directory

[  oh well ]

dhcp-122:~ templon$ uname -a
Darwin dhcp-122.nikhef.nl 7.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.8.0: Wed Dec 22
14:26:17 PST 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.11.1.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
Macintosh powerpc

Name: BSD
Version: Apple
Release: 10.3.8

What do people think???  Thanks Kostas for an interesting idea.

                                                JT