Yo

There are at least three problems trying to be solved here, which is
responsible for a lot of the confusion.  it would be very good to try to
continue this discussion in a way that makes it clear which problem(s)
is being addressed by the proposed solution or comment.

A. if the USER specifies some REQUIREMENTS at SUBMIT TIME, how can we
have the GRID LAYER pass these down to the LRMS layer??

A concrete example: user specifies something like

      other.GlueCEPolicyMaxCPUTime > 30

in the JDL.  When the job lands on a site and is submitted to the LRMS
by the grid layer, the LRMS would be told that the job requires no more
than 30 minutes of CPU time, for example by doing

       qsub -l cput=30:00 job_script

or perhaps doing a bare submit and using 'qalter' to tell it about the
cputime requirement.

B. if the SITE has a mix of WORKER NODES, how can we specify the
different classes of WNs to the outside world, instead of advertising
that all our machines have the characteristics of our 'worst' WN?

C. if we are able to deal with B, but the WNs of different classes are
behind the same gatekeeper, what do we do when an incoming job wants a
high-class WN, but all our free slots are on low-class WNs?

It seems to me that C is what David is trying to address.  I would
prefer to solve the important problems first, C seems to be at least a
second-order problem if not third order.

I intepreted the original call for comments to be about A above, not B
or C.  The question was for A, what else can you think of besides 'cput'
that you'd want passed from the grid layer into the LRMS layer.

	J "but I could be wrong" T