Dear Henry,
I have a few comments and a few questions.

As you stated correctly each and every sgm can move code to any of
her VO's vo-boxes and
run the code as a mapped user.
I don't see a fundamental difference between this and the ability to
run long running jobs on a batch system through the grid.
In both cases the sysadmin has no effective control over what code
the users run and a 48h job with external network connectivity is
not so different from what the users can do on a VO box. Since the
farms give by one way external network access the VOs could implement
with a bit of
additional complication their service like programs as a series of
long running jobs that use the local SE for keeping the state.
 From the security point of view I can see no difference between
giving access to a WN or the VO box. In both cases the users can be
traced and
are mapped to a local user. In both cases the user can bring non
security reviewed software to the site.

The question that I have are of practical matter:
You mention that you have to make sure that you are responsible that
people don't misuse the service (as an example you
mention the storage of ripped movies).
How do you ensure this? Are you in control of what the users store on
your site and what software they run?

            markus