Hi all,

Perhaps the reason sites are publishing kernel versions is because they
correctly followed the instructions:

> The procedure to do this is the following:
>
>     * choose a WN which is "representative" of your batch system (see below for a definition of "representative") and make sure that the chosen node is fully installed and configured. In particular, check if all expected NFS partitions are correctly mounted.
>
>     * on the chosen WN run the following script as root, saving the output to a file.
>
> @---------------------------------------------------------------------
> #!/bin/bash
> echo -n 'hostname: '
> host `hostname -f` | sed -e 's/ has address.*//'
> echo "Dummy: `uname -a`"
> echo "OS_release: `uname -r`"
> echo "OS_version: `uname -v`"
> cat /proc/cpuinfo /proc/meminfo /proc/mounts
> df
> @---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     * copy the obtained file to /opt/edg/var/info/edg-scl-desc.txt on your CE, replacing any pre-existing version.

in the (pre LCG-2_3_0) installation guide!  So these sites are actually
configured exactly as LCG has asked them to be...

The LCFG installation guide for LCG-2_3_0 still refers to the appendix
that used to contain this step, but does not actually contain the
appendix anymore.

cheers,
Owen.

Laurence wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I agree that this has to go further, but as a start we should agree on a
> common way to publish Scientific Linux.
>
> The most important thing is the sites stop publishing the kernel verison.
>
> Laurence

Dr O J E Maroney # London Tier 2 Technical Co-ordinator

Tel. (+44)20 759 47802

Imperial College London
High Energy Physics Department
The Blackett Laboratory