Hi Maria, Patricia,

The point of having separate VOs and individual VO AUPs is to allow site
administrators:

1) to gauge the impact supporting a given VO will have on their local
resources,

2) to authorize use conforming to local policies, and

2) to account correctly for the resources used.

Having a scientific collaboration use the dteam VO violates all three of
these:  The dteam use may far exceed that expected from the AUP, support
of Geant4 might not be in keeping with local policies (however laudable
the activity is), and the use gets lumped in with "testing" instead of
identified with a specific experiment.

Moreover as sites must support the dteam VO, this puts the Geant4
collaboration in a preferential situation in that it can use every
resource on the LCG production service.  I'm sure that's a situation may
other VOs would like to have.

A case could be made to use Geant4 as a test package for low-level
tests, as Patricia stated in her second point.  But this is an activity
very far from the large scale production that was described.

Her other two arguments are completely beside the point.  First, MAGIC
and Planck both at the moment contain very few people, yet they have
gone through the effort to be officially recognized have a separate VO.
   Second, I'll grant that there is a software distribution problem.
However this can be attacked and tested without having to grant
priviledged access to a specific collaboration.

I request that this collaboration be setup as a separate, proper VO and
that the dteam VO not be used for similar activities in the future.

Cal