LHC Computer Grid - Rollout
> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mattias Wadenstein
said:
> Ah, but this should be documented then. Because the documentation says
> "A site that can provide resources will add a computing
> element (CE), that
> acts as a gateway to the computing resources and a storage
> element (SE),
> that acts as a gateway to the local storage."

Well, I guess that assumes you have the resources to start with :) You could
also have a site with an SE but without a CE, Sara was in that state for a
long time. In fact at the moment the whole concept of "site" is pretty weak,
I think about the only issue is that rfio is normally only allowed within a
site so if a CE declares an SE on a different site as being "close" rfio
access won't work.

> Also, is it a failure state in LCG2 to have the close SE[s]
> (as defined by
> IS) full and not accepting new files? Will this impact
> running jobs on CPU
> resources, or will they just chose to put output files somewhere else?

It isn't defined. As people have been pointing out the data management tools
are not at all sophisticated, if you try to copy a file to the close SE and
it's full you just get an error (probably "end of file", which gridftp uses
as a catchall message!). It's up to the application code to have a fallback,
but in general it's a good idea to do that.

Stephen