Hi Patrick,

I've got the same error each time I try to configure torque via yaim...as
you noticed, the problem is related to the communication between CE's
torque server and WN's torque client (and not to ssh conf: in this case
you will be able to run jobs but not to retrieve output):

Check this:
on WN side:
" /var/spool/pbs/pbs_server" should contain the pbs server's hostname : if
WN is in a private lan, check that such hostname reflect the name of the
internal interface. Control/edit also /etc/hosts file

example (my configuration):
CE side
CE hostname=    ce01.domain (==> external interface)
                master.domain (==> internal interface)
>> cat /var/spool/pbs/pbs_server
ce01.domain

WN side (NATted)
>> cat /var/spool/pbs/pbs_server
master.domain

restarting pbs_mom on WN will affect immediatly the "pbsnodes -a" command
: edit/modify files and restart pbs client until you'll get the "free"
state for your WN

...of course, you should also check the firewall on the CE and WN
(pbs/torque needs at least 15001-15003 tcp/udp ports open).

Cheers

Vega Forneris

ESA-ESRIN
Unix Systems Administrator
Via Galileo Galilei
00044 Frascati (Rm) - Italy
Phone +39 06 94180581
Mailto: [log in to unmask]
Vitrociset S.p.A.
Unix System Administrator
Via Tiburtina 1020
00100 Roma - Italy
Phone +39 06 8820 4297
Mailto: [log in to unmask]

Patrick Guio <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: LHC Computer Grid - Rollout <[log in to unmask]>
07/12/2005 14:52
Please respond to
LHC Computer Grid - Rollout <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[LCG-ROLLOUT] maui/torque trouble

Dear Support,

I am in the process of installing a LCG2.6.0  CE_torque and WN_torque on a

cluster machine running Rocks 3.3.0 (Makalu).
The native torque is 1.0.1p6-1 and is packed in a different way (single
rpm
containing everything: pbs and mom server, and mom and other clients (cli
and
gui) and was working fine.

I first installed the LCG2.6.0 "manually" (using diverses solution pure
rpm,
yum, apt). Run the yaim configure  (for dteam VO). Queue system was
created
properly and I could submit globus jobs to the
lcg queue (dteam). I added manually with qmgr a "non-default" default
queue
which worked fine.

Now I wanted to use the yaim install and the meta rpms for nodes that
contain
nothing else than dependencies. I had to remove the native torque and get
installed the 1.0.1p6-11.SL30X.st version which is packed in several rpms.

On CE_torque:
torque-1.0.1p6-11.SL30X.st
torque-resmom-1.0.1p6-11.SL30X.st
torque-server-1.0.1p6-11.SL30X.st
torque-clients-1.0.1p6-11.SL30X.st
torque-devel-1.0.1p6-11.SL30X.st
lcg-CE_torque-2.6.0-sl3

on WN_torque:
torque-clients-1.0.1p6-11.SL30X.st
torque-1.0.1p6-11.SL30X.st
lcg-WN_torque-2.6.0-sl3
torque-resmom-1.0.1p6-11.SL30X.st

I noticed that configuration files are not in the same place (/opt/torque/
for
native torque vs /var/spool/pbs/ for sl30x) and rerun yaim configuration
for
both CE and WN and restarted maui, pbs_server, pbs_mom on CE and pbs_mom
on WN.
That's where I get into trouble! It seems that jobs get queued but for
some
reason never execute. They stay in the 'Q' state forever.
% qsub -q default test-pbs.sh
1037.grid.bccs.uib.no
% qstat -a
grid.bccs.uib.no:
                                                             Req'd  Req'd
Elap
Job ID          Username Queue    Jobname    SessID NDS TSK Memory Time  S
Time
--------------- -------- -------- ---------- ------ --- --- ------ ----- -
-----
1037.grid.bccs. patrickg default  test-pbs.s    --   --  --    --  48:00 Q
  --

The same happen if I submit a globus job
% globus-job-run grid.bccs.uib.no:2119/jobmanager-lcgpbs -queue dteam
% qstat -a
grid.bccs.uib.no:
                                                             Req'd  Req'd
Elap
Job ID          Username Queue    Jobname    SessID NDS TSK Memory Time  S
Time
--------------- -------- -------- ---------- ------ --- --- ------ ----- -
-----
1038.grid.bccs. dteam001 dteam    STDIN         --    1  --    --  48:00 Q
  --

Running pbsnodes, I get such output
compute-0-0.local

Looking at the pbs_mom log (in /var/spool/pbs/mom_logs), it seems it is
first
reading the config file from the WM (/var/spool/pbs/mom_priv/config)
$clienthost grid.bccs.uib.no
$clienthost grid.local
$clienthost localhost
$clienthost localhost.localdomain
$restricted grid.bccs.uib.no
$restricted grid.local
$logevent 511
$ideal_load 1.6
$max_load 2.1
$usecp grid.bccs.uib.no:/home /home

pbs_mom;Svr;Log;Log opened
pbs_mom;Svr;restricted;grid.bccs.uib.no
[snip]
pbs_mom;Svr;usecp;grid.bccs.uib.no:/home /home
pbs_mom;n/a;initialize;independent
pbs_mom;Svr;pbs_mom;Is up

and then many lines with the same message:
pbs_mom;Svr;pbs_mom;im_eof, End of File from addr 129.177.120.153:15001

In the pbs_server log (in /var/spool/pbs/server_logs), there are lines:

Type disconnect request received from [log in to unmask], sock=9
Type statusqueue request received from [log in to unmask], sock=9
Type statusjob request received from [log in to unmask], sock=9

On the working node pbs_mom log there are many lines (about every three
minutes)
Premature end of message from addr 129.177.120.153:15001

The maui run is 3.2.6p11-2_SL30X
% rpm -qa|grep maui
maui-server-3.2.6p11-2_SL30X
maui-3.2.6p11-2_SL30X
maui-client-3.2.6p11-2_SL30X
and I can see in /var/log/maui.log on CE there are lines like
INFO:     PBS node compute-0-0.local set to state Down
(state-unknown,down)
INFO:     0 PBS resources detected on RM base
WARNING:  no resources detected

There seems to a problem of communication between CE and WN.
Does the torque expect communication through something different than
ssh/scp?
The Rocks torque works with ssh and rshd is disabled.
Could it be the problem?

Also there seems to be some problem with packaging

% rpm -qa | grep ^torque | xargs rpm -qV
S.5....T c /etc/sysconfig/pbs
..?.....   /usr/sbin/pbs_mom
..?.....   /usr/sbin/pbs_server
missing    /var/spool/pbs/server_priv/accounting
missing    /var/spool/pbs/server_priv/acl_groups
missing    /var/spool/pbs/server_priv/acl_hosts
missing    /var/spool/pbs/server_priv/acl_svr
missing    /var/spool/pbs/server_priv/acl_users
missing    /var/spool/pbs/server_priv/jobs
missing    /var/spool/pbs/server_priv/queues
S.5....T c /var/spool/pbs/server_name

even though
% rpm -qf /var/spool/pbs/server_priv/acl_svr
torque-server-1.0.1p6-11.SL30X.st

Do you any idea what is going wrong?

I found at Steve Staylen's site (http://hepunx.rl.ac.uk/~traylens) newer
versions of torque rpms for sl3 (2.0.0p1-2.sl3.st) than the one provided
by
CERN but still with same packaging.

Are these test rpms? Can they be used for LCG production? Do you think it
will solve my problem?

Any help is appreciated

Sincerely,

Patrick