This is a different question, so I've separated it out:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Markus Schulz wrote:
> Since the farms give by one way external network access ...

Note that at least two of us on this list think they shouldn't!
IMO certainly mail and http should be either blocked or proxied, but
that's another story.

> the VOs could implement
> with a bit of
> additional complication their service like programs as a series of
> long running jobs that use the local SE for keeping the state.

As I said in my reply to Stephen Burke, as far as I can see LCG *already*
provides a Grid-aware service container (tomcat) along with a database
(mysql) handy for keeping all sorts of things in. Using JSP would even
allow controlling/modifying them from user space (except I'm arguing
against that!).

I'm just a bit puzzled that LCG is building/debugging/YAIMifying something
new, rather than reusing something it already has.

The Atlas doc has become password-protected again, so going back to:
> "These agents will perform activities on behalf of the experiment and
> its applications, such as submitting jobs to a CE, monitoring those
> jobs, scheduling file transfers, or scheduling database updates."

Java APIs exist at least for both job submission and basic monitoring.

So what is actually missing that the new VO-box is to provide?

Thanks

Henry

--
Dr. Henry Nebrensky                     [log in to unmask]
                             http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~eesrjjn