Only the scheduler knows which job will start next so only the scheduler
can give the estimated response time. Maui provides
showstart [JOB]
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/commands/showstart.shtml

This gives the best guess at the start time for the job. The only possible
improvement on this could come from Jeff's method but this is a 2nd order
effect. Every other scheme of counting free cpus, queued job, total cpus
is bound to fail when using an educated scheduler with a site policy.

So the ERT is the showstart time of the last job in the queue. This
assumes all jobs in a queue are equal(FIFO). If there are no queueing jobs
then ERT=0.

Cheers,
Rod.

--