On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Jon Bakken wrote:

> Hi Maarten,
>
> I want to voice my very strong dislike for the LCG software modifying
> ld.so.conf in the 1st place.  Things like this should never be
> considered
> and this is not the 1st problem we have because of this.  Having
> a ridiculously long LD_LIBRARY_PATH is also very bad.

Hi Jon,
I agree.  There even is at least one bug open about this matter.
The binaries ought not to need any libraries set up beforehand
(they could have wrappers that set up the library path).

One should only need to mess with LD_LIBRARY_PATH when dealing with
a user application, e.g. compiling/running against some grid API.

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ridiculously long due to repetitions of
various directories; the upcoming release should fix that.