Hello Declan and GP-UK,

On Thursday, December 22, 2005, at 9:05:50 PM, Declan wrote:

> Hey gang
> Question is down at the end--all comments appreciated.

> Friend, happy with AOL dial up, signed up for AOL broadband. Decided to
> stay with AOL because been happy with them for last two years or so.
> Personally I would have suggested Wanadoo because that's what I have.

> Got a BT Voyager ADSL modem with USB connection to the Dell desktop PC.
> A two or three year old Dimension I think.
> Installed the softare, plugged in modem (via USB connection) and filter
> and phone line. No work. Called for me. I find the computer has picked
> up the presence of the modem OK but flashes up "DSL modem---no signal".

[snip]

> Ends up with the guy telling them that their broadband is not working
> because they don't have a network card on the computer. It's true. They
> don't. I ordered it for them originally and they had no need to spend
> money on a network card.
> Now I reckon this will just be a tedious uninstall and reinstall and
> poring over FAQs so I am putting it off until after Xmas but for now,
> can anyone think of any reaon why a BT Voyager ADSL modem with a USB
> connection would require the presence of a network card to work???
> Buggered if I can.

USB ADSL modems do NOT need a network card installed on the PC.

I wouldn't go the uninstall/reinstall route before further problem
determination. It is after all conceivable that "DSL modem---no
signal" means just that. It's a while since my [.....] ADSL was
installed using a USB modem (since replaced with a wireless router)
and it was an Alcatel Speedtouch but I assume the BT Voyager has LEDs
indicating presence or otherwise of an ADSL signal without having to
connect it to the PC.

For some diagnostic help try
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=troubleshooting

For AOL specific help try