engage
in the visual arts

Research and Development Project Bursaries
Invitation to submit proposals
Bursaries up to £2500 available to galleries (England regions only)
Application deadline Monday 16 Jan 2006
en-vision: embedding a youth-friendly culture in galleries
en-vision is a pioneering programme working across the UK to support
galleries to develop youth-friendly practice, policy and venues.
en-vision is managed by engage, the UK¹s leading professional body promoting
understanding of, access to and enjoyment of the visual arts through
projects, professional development and advocacy.

Research and development project bursaries
Following a 2 year action-research programme working with galleries,
artists, partner organisations, and young people across Manchester and the
Midlands, en-vision is about to launch into a new 2 year national programme
of projects, research, training, seminars, resource development, information
sharing and advocacy.
We are currently inviting applications from galleries who are interested in
a bursary of up to £2500 to carry out a research and development project.

The aim of the scheme is to:
… Support galleries to work directly with young people, exploring how they
can begin to meet young people¹s needs offering genuine and sustainable
benefits
… Generate new youth-friendly policy and practice in participating venues
… Create a collection of case studies exemplifying different approaches to
involving young people in consultation and decision-making about gallery
development
… Encourage galleries to commit to a change in organisational culture
… Encourage and share good practice across the UK

Requirements
… Simple application to be submitted to engage using the attached headings
… Projects must start by 1 March 06, and produce a case study final report
by 8 May 06
… Projects can apply for up to £2500 but you must provide 20% match funds
(£500 if applying for full £2500). NB. This must be a cash contribution
… Projects must involve young people aged 14-21 in activities designed to
explore how the venue can meet young people¹s needs more effectively. For
example, this might include consultation, research carried out by young
people, creative projects, action-research, joint training, or young people
participating in decision-making or project development roles. We would like
your approach to be as creative as possible.
… Projects must result in a simple Œyouth-friendly¹ forward plan or exit
strategy
… Projects will be expected to carry out internal evaluation of their work
and produce a simple final case study report (about 3 pages) which will be
published on the en-vision website (and in a final report in 2008)
… Applications must demonstrate that they have secured organisational
commitment to the aims of the programme, or demonstrate how the bursary will
be used to achieve this

en-vision has a particular focus on benefiting Œexcluded¹ young people ­
those who are not taking part fully in society because of poverty,
prejudice, isolation or personal/ family circumstance. Applications which
involve disadvantaged young people will be favoured, though this is not a
requirement.

Applications which nurture partnerships with local agencies who support
young people are also particularly encouraged, as this has been identified
as a key success factor in recruiting, engaging and benefiting young people.

Support from engage
… Projects will be provided with a Critical Friend ­ an independent
professional available to support you to plan and review your work
… The en-vision Coordinators will provide support, advice and resources, and
will promote your work to funders, policy makers, and across broad networks
… Projects will be provided with a resource pack ­a toolkit relevant to the
project aims
… The en-vision evaluation partners will provide individual support to all
projects, to include an initial visit or training session (optional),
followed by any advice or support you may need to carry out your research
and evaluation
… Access to en-vision training and national seminars

Who can apply
Applications are invited from not for profit venues in the England regions
with a dedicated gallery/ visual art space, including museums.

How to apply
Complete the attached application form and return to engage, en-vision R and
D Bursary proposal, Basement Offices, 108 Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3RA,
or email to [log in to unmask] with Œen-vision R and D Bursary proposal¹
in the subject line.

The deadline for applications is 5pm on 16 January 2006. A panel will review
applications and you will be informed of the outcome by 23 January.

If you have questions about the programme or your application, please
contact Amber Walls at en-vision on 0115 9100 565, [log in to unmask]
To download copies of this application see www.en-vision.org.uk

en-vision would like to thank our current funders for their generous
support:
Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and the Arts Council of England

Emma Boyd
Membership and Events Officer
Central office  Basement, 108 Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3RA
T   +44 (0)20 7244 0110
F   +44 (0)20 7373 7223
E    [log in to unmask]
W  www.engage.org
engage Scotland  [log in to unmask]
engage Cymru  [log in to unmask]
en-vision  [log in to unmask]
Are you using the engage forum on www.engage.org
> * en-quire ­national action research programme exploring the special
> contribution of galleries and the visual arts to learning 2004 ­ 2006 in South
> East, London and North East www.en-quire.org
> * Making Connections early career professional development training seminars
> in the South West, North East, West Midlands, Scotland and Wales January-
> March 2006 on Makers and Making, Working with Young People, Schools
> Collaborations and Early Years and Families (Wales only) Contact
> * Watch this Space ­School secondments for gallery educators and gallery
> placements for teachers to build skills and to develop new links with
> non-visiting schools 2005 - 2006 Contact [log in to unmask]
> * engage Journal 18 Research ­to be published January 2006. Back issues
> available for sale.

If you have received this email in error please notify [log in to unmask]
Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free from
viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is requested to use
their own virus checking software.