		Royal Armouries Museum Volunteers at HM Tower of London

		Volunteer Placement for Half-Term Activities
		Saturday 22 - Sunday 30 October 2005

		The Royal Armouries Museum uses volunteers to work with visitors to the White Tower, the Norman keep at the centre of the Tower of London.  The White Tower houses our unique collection.  Volunteering at the Tower provides a range of opportunities for those seeking experience in historic sites and museums.  It is also a fun and fascinating place for those with a more general interest.  We are always seeking  new volunteers to join our friendly, committed and highly motivated team.

		We are currently recruiting for the October 2005 half-term.  In the Summer half-term we worked with over 16,000 children and adults on a variety of activities in the White Tower.

		Selection for these placements will be by interview.  We would also be glad to hear from people who are interested in volunteering but unable to volunteer at this time.

		Placement description:
		Working as part of a team, volunteers will interact with visitors to the  White Tower in a range of activities relating to the historic site and collection.  Activities planned include:

*	greeting family audiences and other visitors
*	Supervising live historical interpretations, for example, sword fighting demonstrations.
*	supervising brass-rubbing for children
*	armour handling activities

		Opportunities:
		The placement offers opportunities to develop experience of working in a museum and historic site and to gain evidence of the following skills:
*	Dealing with a wide range of visitors
*	Adding value to visitors' experience by facilitating practical activities and providing historical contextual information
*	Supporting and working with other team members
*	Working with individuals and small groups
*	Preparing materials for educational activities

		Liz,
		Any comments on this (obviously it's mostly yours anyway!)  I've made it a little bit more general as Irene said we might be trying to expand our use of volunteers - and this may fit in with all the ideas about widening participation.
		Ian

		The placement is offered for a minimum of 3 days.  However, we are ideally seeking people who can volunteer for 5-7 days.
		Please apply in writing or by email making reference to the person specification below.  Please include a full CV and details of 2 referees.   There is often competition for half-term places so volunteers are advised to apply early.   We would like to keep volunteers' contact details on file.  Please indicate in your application if you do not wish us to do so.  The details will only be used to provide information about future volunteering opportunities.

		Person specification:
*	Team player
*	Ability to use initiative
*	Flexibility
*	Capable of working under pressure
*	Proven track record in working with children and young people
*	Personal interest in British history
*	Excellent spoken English
*	Knowledge of another language (such as French, German, Japanese etc) would be beneficial

		If you would like to have an informal chat about the opportunity please phone or email me (details below.)

		PLEASE NOTE: Due to the listed scheduled monument nature of the C11th White Tower there are access limitations to the building.  The floor is reached by spiral stairs and not accessible for wheelchair users.  However,  we would be delighted to develop a bespoke placement for any successful candidate who would find the White Tower  inaccessible.

		Ian Coles
		Education Officer
		Royal Armouries
		HM Tower of London
		020 7488 5799/5658

The statements and opinions expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Royal Armouries museum. This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advise the sender immediately of any error in transmission. The Royal Armouries Museum does not accept responsibility for the timeliness, accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any changes to this e-mail, howsoever made, after it was sent.