en-quire
inspiring learning in galleries

PRESS RELEASE
for immediate use

enquire about en-quire at www.en-quire.org

engage¹s new en-quire programme ­ working with schools, galleries, and
universities in London, the North East,  and on the South Coast ­ is
presented on the new website www.en-quire.org.

en-quire is an 18 month action-research programme funded by England¹s
Departments for Culture and Education [DCMS/DfES], and delivered by engage
with Arts Council England [ACE] and the Museums Libraries and Archives
Council [MLA]. Objectives are set out in the new en-quire leaflet which
describes the research focus, and the projects chosen by each of the three
en-quire clusters.

New collaborations between teachers, artists, university researchers and
gallery educators have been set up by en-quire to offer exciting learning
experiences for pupils ­ and to research the special benefits of working
with the visual arts and galleries, in the context of the MLA¹s Inspiring
Learning framework, identifying key learning outcomes.

en-quire has run initial Œbench-marking¹ focus group discussions where young
people identified benefits from participating in gallery education projects:
³It helped my grade go up²
²It has helped me to accept other views that I did not agree with²
³I enjoyed experimenting and the challenge of not knowing how to do things.²
A teacher commented ³taking young people out of the classroom shifts
attitudes. The young people relax and so do the teachers ­ Œconventions¹ of
school life take a back seat².

engage¹s programmes currently include: en-vision, action-research into
galleries¹ work with young people at risk in England; Collect &
Share,promoting lifelong learning in museums and galleries in Europe;
research and advocacy with Creative Partnerships, Scottish arts Council,
DCMS/DfES; training and CPD including the Making Connections seminar series.

ENDS

Press:   Barbara Taylor (en-quire Programme Director) 07770 526 387
              Christopher Naylor (engage Director)  020 7 244 0110

Note for editors

engage is the lead membership body in the UK promoting education and access
to the visual arts and galleries in the UK. engage has nearly 1500 members ­
arts centres, artists studios, galleries and museums ­ in the UK and
internationally. Founded in 1988, engage currently runs training and support
for the profession, action-research, advocacy and international networking.
See www.engage.org; 0207 244 0110.

--
Emma Boyd
Membership and Events Officer

engage Scotland  [log in to unmask]
engage Cymru  [log in to unmask]
en-vision  [log in to unmask]
Are you using the engage forum on www.engage.org

> * Collect & Share ­International Conference 14-18 June 2005, Moderna Museet,
> Stockholm Contact [log in to unmask]
> * International Summer School 5-8 July 2005, Lake Maggiore, Italy
> * en-quire ­national action research programme exploring the special
> contribution of galleries and the visual arts to learning 2004 ­ 2006 in South
> East, London and North East www.en-quire.org
> * Watch this Space ­School secondments for gallery educators and gallery
> placements for teachers to build skills and to develop new links with
> non-visiting schools 2005 - 2006 [log in to unmask]
> * engage Journal 17 Regeneration ­published July 2005

If you have received this email in error please notify [log in to unmask]
Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free from
viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is requested to use
their own virus checking software.