I'm writing to see if you might be interested in writing up a very brief
summary of key monthly discussions on the gem-list.

I am the editor and publisher of Museum Education Monitor (MEM), a
bi-monthly electronic publication that provides links to the ongoing
research and information already available both online and in print for
museum educators and researchers around the world. Because MEM is
produced by free-lancers there is a small subscription fee of $25 CAD
per year, which includes access to the searchable database of back
issues (for more info http://www.mccastle.com/subscribe.asp). I am happy
to offer a complimentary subscription to any regular contributor.

Beyond listing ephemeral information like job openings and conferences,
listerv discussions reveal a great deal about the vital daily interests
of museum educators. Although the gem-Archives is a useful resource, a
summary brings the element of immediate reflection to the discussion and
helps to organize it for future use. The summary also draws the
attention of educators in other countries to the valuable work of the
Group for Education in Museums. Here's an example of a summary that Kris
Wetterlund, one of the owners of the American listserv museum-ed,
contributed to the Museum Education Monitor:

"MUSEUM-ED
[Thanks to Kris Wetterlund for supplying these summaries. For more info
see the museum-ed archives at
http://www.museum-ed.org/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi?flavor=archive;list=talk
]
March 2005
Topic: Internships
A request for information about how much museums typically pay interns
triggered a spirited discussion about paid versus unpaid internships in
museums. One student discussion list member wrote: "I have much more
respect for myself than to give away my skills for free." Unfortunately
the majority of museum educators who responded had done unpaid
internships at the beginning of their careers, and so felt especially
defensive. While students bemoaned the difficulties of paying for
college credits when internships are part of the class, essentially
paying to work without pay, museum educators pointed out the
administrative costs of caring for and supervising interns in
museums, and the unfortunate occasions when the museums give more than
they get in return from an intern. In the end, the majority agreed that
unpaid internships are worthwhile, and several museums educators said
they do pay interns whenever they can."

Listserv summaries are catalogued for the MEM online searchable database
and so remain available well beyond the life on one issue.

Please let me know if you would like any further information or a
complimentary copy of the Museum Education Monitor to get a better idea
of what it is we do.

Cheers,
Chris

M. Christine Castle, Ph.D.