-----Original Message-----
From: Shakespeare, Rob [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 May 2005 12:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Meaningful terms for visitors using ICT

Croydon Museum Service, supported by HLF, are currently redeveloping
Lifetimes Museum which contains objects and oral histories donated by local
people from 1800 to the present day.

ICT will continue to be the main interpretative device for visitors and we
are hoping to create a clean, uncluttered 'home' page for each object. In
our creative brief for the ICT designers we want 4 main action buttons on
each object screen which will appear on the touch-screens in the gallery:

1.      'Object' (is default screen which contains description of object)

2.      'Story' (is link to oral history associated with the object in audio
/ video(?) and transcript form)

3.      'Meaning' (should be the historical / social context for the object
and/or story)

4.      'Explore' (is the opportunities to find out more / further research
and actions e.g. go to the Local Studies Library, attend a course, visit the
IWM, etc.).

The outcome of clicking on these action buttons could be expressed as: 1)
What is it?; 2) Whose is it?; 3) So what?; and 4) What now?.

We would welcome any suggestions for clearer titles for these action buttons
and are eager to hear from other museums who have used simpler terms for the
Object, Meaning and Explore buttons.

Thanks in anticipation.

Rob Shakespeare

Museum Education Manager

Croydon Museum Service, Croydon Clocktower

Katharine Street, Croydon, CR9 1ET

Tel: 020 8253 1023

www.croydon.gov.uk/museums
<http://www.croydon.gov.uk/leisure/artsentertainmentculture/culture/museums/