Jocelyn, thanks for making this point

                 more follows, but the key point of this message, if you don't want to read it all, is:

                                 Please use "Reply", not "Reply All"

There has been a spate of "me too" messages recently, and I have been thinking of sending a message on this point myself, but thought I would just check that I wasn't missing something.  Namely, that perhaps
(a) messages were being sent back to the whole list by accident, or
(b) there was a good reason for posting to the whole list

Re (a)
With some email lists (for example Museums Computer Group) hitting Reply posts to the whole list - with consequences ranging from mildly amusing to mildly disastrous, depending on the nature of the inadvertently broadcast message!

The GEM list is set to "reply to sender only"  to avoid this sort of accident, and also to cut down on the number of unnecessary emails.  The only way to post to the whole list (there are 860 GEM list subscribers) is to type in the email address [log in to unmask], OR to use the "Reply to all" button instead of "Reply".

Re (b)
I asked a few people who had sent messages to the whole list asking (one person) for a summary why they did email the whole list.   ("Cmon, fess up, why DO you do it?")

One person said that they always "reply-all", as this makes it easier for the person collating messages to send them out to the right people -  which is laudable, but it doesn't help, unfortunately.  Also, many people post summaries to the whole list anyway if they get a good response.

The other reason people post to the whole list is that they want other people to know that they are working on the same topic - which is fine when they share some useful information or add a new perspective to guide responses, but is annoying when the only point is self promotion.

So to summarise:  unless there is a good reason to post to the whole list, please use the Reply button (not the Reply All button).

Best wishes

Martin

---
Martin Bazley