From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Joseph Devlin
Sent: 10 October 2005 18:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: cortex to cortex tractography

Dear Elaine,

I've done quite a bit of cortico-cortical tracing within hemisphere with
Fdt and so far it seems to work well.  By that I mean that I can usually
find paths that I believe should exist between two different cortical
regions.  I often get false paths due to various artifacts (e.g. dti
resolution sometimes means that paths jump sulci), but with a little
care, it's generally easy to identify and stop such paths from
happening.

Having said all that, we use 60 direction data and tend to average
several acquisitions to increase SNR.  Also, I'm looking for fairly
strong paths.  When I've looked for weaker ones, or ones penetrating
larger fibre bundles (e.g. the acoustic radiation), this often fails.

So in principle Fdt should be fine for cortico-cortical connections, but
it does depend heavily on the specific path(s) you're interested in and
the quality of the data you have.

Cheers,

Joe

Joseph T. Devlin, Ph. D.