Von: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library im Auftrag von Julius Fridriksson
Gesendet: Mo 15.08.2005 15:06
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: [FSL] fMRI stroke preprocessing/analysis

Hi Carlos -- Heidi raises some very important issues to keep in mind
with MRI and stroke patients. I want to add that we have had much better
results using event related rather than block design in this population;
especially in the case of abnormal cerebral perfusion. Good luck --
Julius

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/15/05 04:48AM >>>
Dear Carlos,

Although there are lots of additional things that you might want to
consider when scanning stroke patients, there is not a single standard

approach to this and many people would simply use the same processing
any analysis that you would use for studies of healthy controls.

Having said that, it is worth thinking through the issues you mention,

to decide whether you want to do anything special.
For coregistration - if your patients have large cortical lesions then

default coregistration approaches may not be appropriate.  You may want

to consider using cost-function masking, within FLIRT, or else using a

non-linear registration.  Alternatively, you could derive your
activation statistics in native space using ROIs, and avoid the issue
of
coregistation.
For structural imaging - depending on the timing and type of lesions in

your patient you may want to consider acquiring different structural
images for lesion  characterisation- this really depends what you want

to get out of the data.
For BOLD modelling - although it is possible that the hemodynamic
response is altered in patients, most studies ignore this possibility
and simply use the same generic bold modelling as for a standard fMRI
study.  If you want to take into account the possibility that the shape

of the hrf is altered in patients then you could use basis functions
for
more flexible response modelling.  If you want to characterise the hrf

in some detail to compare across groups then this would be easier done

with a single event, randomised design than with a block design.

Heidi

--
Dr Heidi Johansen-Berg
Wellcome Trust Training Fellow