Thanks for explanation, Mark!

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 14:49, Mark Jenkinson wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> There are indeed two methods for unwarping.  I certainly
> recommend the pixel-shift for unwarping, but the
> current distributed version uses Fourier for forward warping
> (of the magnitude fieldmap image in order to create a
> distorted target image for registration purposes).  The reason
> for this is that it avoids the necessity to invert the warp
> field, as taking a warped image and unwarping it is opposite
> to warping an unwarped image, and what space the warp

I am getting warped myself.
:)
So, if my field map and image are both in distorted/undistorted space and I
want to unwarp/warp the image to undistorted/distorted space, the Fourier
shift is my friend. But if the field map and image are in opposite spaces, I
can use pixel shift. Do I have it right?

> is in matters, so I either needed an inverse of the warp field
> (in general difficult to impossible) or a different technique
> for forward warping.  I chose the latter and used a Fourier method.
> In summary, both methods are used in fugue, but just got with the
> defaults as they automatically choose the best method.
>
> The second question is all about units.

OK. Now I understand.

> My fieldmap is in radians per second, obtained by
> taking phase diff in radians and dividing by asym_time
> in seconds.  My pixel_shift is then in voxels (dimensionless)
> which is obtained by taking the fieldmap in rad/s and
> multiplying by dwell time in seconds, and dividing by 2*pi
> (radians).
> In contrast, the field in Jezzard et al is in Telsa, so he takes phase_diff
> (radians) and divides this by 2*pi (radians) and gyr_ratio
> (Hz/T) and asym_time (seconds).  Since Hz = 1/seconds
> then the result is a quantity in units of Tesla.  By taking my
> fieldmaps in rad/s I just avoid the need for using the
> gyromagnetic ratio, as I never need to convert back to Tesla.
> However, you can certainly do it with mine in which case you
> need to insert the gyromagnetic ratio again.
>
> All the best,
>     Mark

All the best to you as well.

Martin