Protests by refugees taking place outside of UNHCR offices are not new, but
usually they are broken up by police action. In Cairo, however, we have had a
sit-in demonstration in the Park outside UNHCR's office since September 28
2005. It has not been broken up; in fact, the police are protecting them and
the numbers are increasing up to more than 1000. People have left their flats
and have become destitute. Two children have died, a baby and a toddler. UNHCR
has closed its offices and tends to do emergency work in the offices of other
NGOs. My students have written about the demonstration in Cairo in its earliest
stages. These articles (and photographs) can be seen on the Pambuzuka web site.

We would be interested in hearing about other refugee protests from anywhere in
the world and would be grateful for reports, leads to other persons.who can
tell us about them. We intend to write a piece on this and other such protests.
Any help that we receive will be credited unless the source of information
requests anonymity.

Leigh Sylvan ([log in to unmask]) and
Barbara Harrell-Bond ([log in to unmask])
Distinguished Visiting Professor
Forced Migration and Refugee Studies Programme
113 Kasr el Aini Street
P O Box 2511
Cairo 11511, Egypt.

Tel:: 20 2 794 2219