Dear Friend of CARA,

The Council for Assisting Refugee Academics is pleased to announce a call
for applications for its September 2005 funding round. We would be grateful
if you could post and/or distribute the attached notice [see below] to your
clients and networks as appropriate.

We provide grants to academic refugees who are now living in the UK, and
seeking to further their educational or vocational goals. Grants may cover
expenses such as course, exam, or bench fees; associated research, travel
and equipment costs; conference costs; childcare expenses; and in limited
cases maintenance.

Thank you for your assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Marieke Stroink
Programme Officer
Council for Assisting Refugee Academics
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
London South Bank University
Technopark
90 London Road
London SE1 6LN, UK
Direct Ph: +44 (0) 207 021 0884
Main Phone: +44 (0) 207 021 0880
Fax: +44 (0) 207 021 0881
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.academic-refugees.org

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS

Applications are currently being invited for CARA’s next funding round.

CARA aims to assist academics forced to flee their home countries because of
political, religious, racial or ethnic discrimination. We provide grants to
academic refugees who are now living in the UK, and seeking to further their
educational or vocational goals. Grants may cover expenses such as course,
exam, or bench fees; associated research, travel and equipment costs;
conference costs; childcare expenses; and in limited cases maintenance.

In order to apply, individuals must meet both of the following criteria. They
must:

1.	have been employed by a university in their country of origin or
another country (UK university employment is excluded). Individuals must have
held a paid academic post such as lecturer or researcher.
2.	hold one of the following: UK Refugee Status, Leave to Remain
(Indefinite, Exceptional or Discretionary) or Humanitarian Protection; in
exceptional circumstances, we may assist an asylum seeker.

CARA is dedicated to promoting equal opportunities and is particularly
interested in receiving applications from women who meet the above criteria.

CARA receives many requests for help, but only those that meet our eligibility
criteria can be considered. Applications are reviewed by members of the
Council who sit on the Allocation Committee. The Committee takes all grant
decisions. The Allocation Committee’s next meeting is the 1st of September
2005. Applicants will be notified of the decision of the Committee by the week
of 19th September 2005.

The deadline for applications is noon on 1st July 2005.

CARA has limited funds and aims to support as many individuals as possible.
Therefore, priority is given to requests from individuals who have not
received prior assistance from CARA.

Our staff is happy to discuss potential applications and provide support to
individuals throughout the application process.  To learn more or request an
application pack please contact Brooke Sperry, Programme Assistant, on 020
7021 0884 or [log in to unmask], or Marieke Stroink, Programme Officer on
020 7021 0884 or [log in to unmask]