There the can of worms springs out .....words: dead ...flogging and horse
come to mind ...

yes the glory about of being able to double index

at the end sometime we need to get this sorted out from what i have seen in
the project i am running

I am dealing with content from museums, archives and SMR and trying to get
them working as one... they have a number of attributes in common period
(what they are about, etc), place (where they are located, about etc) among
others

things is not one of them agrees on the standards across the board ......
not even in term and span or in terms of practice of how to record .. time
is among those concepts they do not agree on

We should design something and then refine it ... personally i am a
pragamtist do nothing and just talk and people will do their own thing ...
without leadership then its anarchy. Anarchy is bad and makes the situation
worse the longer it goes on ... so response .. we need to get something
done .. something basic agreed then refine and build on it. But i guess
thats easy for me to say as i am not doing it. By the way i am taking
trying to take shots at FISH over this its a big issue ... but we avoid
these things at our peril... but its easy for people like me who are not
going to do the work. As i am no longer apart of the contributing members i
really should keep my mouth shut and not ask that this get done. Personally
as a proof of concept the period terminology that was produced was ok ..
alright it had problems but hay its a first stab... if anyone can do any
better well go ahead.

I would agree with phil index two terms and by the way if you wish to
record occupancy phase then tag the date as a occupancy phase or build date
etc etc i do not thing you should remove that possibility. One size does
not fit all so we make the terminology broad and deep, if all of it does
not fit with what you want use what does.

sorry phil ...I know you wanted to avoid this discussion but its worth
saying it does concern some of the stuff i am dealing with in the DSH
project. within this project we will be looking at terminologies period is
amongst that so going forward for me i will wish to look at this for our
project.

Jason A. Siddall
Project and IT Leader
Discovering Shropshire's History - Learning from our Landscapes
Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund

                      "CARLISLE, Phil"
                      <Philip.Carlisle@ENGLISH-HERIT        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      AGE.ORG.UK>                           cc:
                      Sent by: "The Forum for               Subject:  Re: [FISH] Time's up!
                      Information Standards in
                      Heritage (FISH)"

                      23/08/2005 16:09
                      Please respond to "The Forum
                      for Information Standards in
                      Heritage (FISH)"

Personally I’d index it as two phases.
The first phase is a construction phase with start and end dates of 1939
display date ‘Interwar period’ or 1939
Then it has a second phase with start date 1939 end date 1945 and display
date ‘Operational during Second World War’

However this opens up the whole issue of whether we should record
‘occupancy’ phases.

Phil Carlisle
Data Standards Supervisor
National Monuments Record Centre
Kemble Drive
Swindon
SN2 2GZ
+44 (0)1793 414824

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received the
e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it from your system.
The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else or copied
without the sender's consent.

Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author
and do not necessarily reflect those of English Heritage. English Heritage
will not take any responsibility for the views of the author.