The word 'heritagisation' (or 'heritagization'), although equally ugly to
my mind, is coming into vogue too, and has a wider currency than
'musealization', I think.
In answer to those who object to them, these terms imply more than merely
an object 'becoming' strictly a museum or heritage site: it also covers the
intermediate processes of the change from a 'normal' object to a thing with
heritage attributes -- even though the process of transformation to museum
/ heritage is never completed.
John Carman

--On 13 January 2005 10:11 +0000 "CARLISLE, Phil"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I've been asked by a Spanish colleague from the HEREIN project to provide
> an English translation for the term Musealization (or musealisation).
>

> From what we can gather from googling it, it's either 'the interpretation
> and presentation of a thing "in situ"' or it's a process whereby a part
> of the heritage becomes museumified (our new word to try to explain this
> phenomena) eg. Anne Hathaway's cottage stops being a cottage and becomes
> a heritage object.
>

> Does anyone have a clue whether this word actually exists in English?
> We've found a few websites but they all tend to be foreign language sites
> although there are a couple of sites from down under which seem to use it
> as well.
>

> Any help would be appreciated
>

> Phil

Dr John Carman
Affiliated Lecturer
Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge
Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3DZ, UK
Tel: +44 1223 333531
Fax: +44 1223 333503
Email: [log in to unmask]