Well, with Jason's goading...

I think to equate sex with other urges/drives is a kind of
naturalistic fallacy (in its non-Moore sense) -- or at least a false
equation/analogy. I know a whole lot of people who are quite caught up
in food and its pleasures, but I would never suggest that their desire
for food possesses the same complexity and depth of emotion involved
in their sex lives.

As perhaps the most intimate point of contact (physically, of course,
but also metaphorically) between two humans, sex seems as if it can
never be "casual" in that term's connotative sense, that is as being
inconsequential, brief and not fully engaged. I don't deny that there
are some gradings within sexual encounters between people (e.g. one
may be, in a sense, alienated from sex because one's heart remains/is
with another partner), but I don't think it can ever be "casual" in
that term's pejorative sense.

To say that it can be seems wishful thinking on one hand (as seen in
the philanderer's glib excuse) and dangerously close to the worst kind
of Social Darwinism on the other.

Ben, Second-Rate Philosopher

On 11/18/05, Dr Jason Jacobs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Why don't you make a comment since you obviously disagree? Or do you? What
> do *you* think?
>
> Dr Jason Jacobs
> Senior Lecturer
> School of Arts, Media and Culture