  From: eduardomauro
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:13 AM
  Subject: Re: non-linear narrative

  <<The viewer doesnt ask "where am i?"
  because the viewer is in a space created by
  the image and the film allows the viewer the
  elation of knowing ve (he/she=ve_Diaspora_
  Greg Egan) is.>>

                                      paulgoman

  when a film is realised as intelligible, it is our own "I" continuance that is finding support and ground to affirm itself in it, and then, just after, to affirm the end of the 'film' as exterior to this "I".

  the problem with 'knowing', or 'really knowing' (a problem that is absent in rocks and birds) is that it is in fact only a support for a consciously-persisting-self.

  - does 'knowing' mean something more than the continuance of the eye and the ending of the film? or more than the continuance of the self and the ending of the 'other' (as in 'I know that he is dead')? does it mean more than just "I"?

  nothing more than the continuance of doubt and the cessation of fear.

  but such is not knowledge, it is just the experiencer's dead end: where will "I" go if "I" has no fear of leaving and no fear of staying to be left?

  it ceases to matter, the I, as it ceases to know. (as in "what is 'this' that know yourself as you?")

  * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.
**