imho it is because it twists the conversation violently into a field which has been de-territorialized often.  it was also freaky for me because it proved (at least to me) that there is no escaping from benjamin and his genious observation made in the forties.  i also used the word "freaky" to gather reading momentum for something which was simply "curious" in order to convey my awe at the 'return to benjamin' moment.

just an intensifier of surprise!
cheers

Mike Frank wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
and, in a freaky twist, we are thrown back to the basics of cultural
anaylisis by reaching Walter Benjamin's "The work of art..." and its
'denouncing' of editing and time-manipulation as purveyors of a
DIFFERENT type of 'art', totally divorced from theatre.

        why, pray, is that freaky * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask]. For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **