-- CALL FOR PAPERS - Deadline for submissions: 1 April 2005 --

              IADIS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE MOBILE LEARNING 2005
                      June 28-30, 2005 - Qawra, MALTA
                        (http://www.iadis.org/ml2005)
        co-located with IADIS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE E-SOCIETY 2005
                        (http://www.iadis.org/es2005)

* Keynote Speaker (confirmed):
Jan Blom, Nokia Research Center, Finland

* Co-organised by University of Malta

* Conference Background, Goals and Theme
Mobile Learning is not only a new technology; it is also an exponent of
new modes of learning. Education gradually shifts from the transfer to the
development of expertise. The need is there to develop skills and
understanding at the spot, just when it is needed. This conference will
provide you with the newest state of the art on portable devices, like the
mobile telephone, the PDA and the many combinations of the two, including
functionalities like full WWW-access (via Bluetooth, WLAN or GPRS),
photo/video cameras, GPS and a navigational system, playing and recording
MP3 music and MPEG4 movies, and not to forget a large amount of games and
simulations. Indeed we can say that it is just one of the many steps from
the computer on the desk, to finally see it disappear in our watch, our
clothes and under the skin.
One highlight of this conference will be how quickly we expect the
predicted portability will emerge and what we hope to include in our
scenarios for work, school and leisure time. The other is the question
what scenarios we envisage to pick its potential benefits for learning
purposes. No need to argue if and how it will help us to learn on the job;
connectivity saves us mobility (time, costs and risks). More intriguing is
the question how institutionalized learning will benefit from mobile
learning devices.
Yes, already WWW-based learning systems have proven its value for
flexibility, collaborative and experiential effects. We may expect our
mobile to combine communication, work and leisure time better, so that its
learning moments happen when we are ready for it. For those reasons we
cordially invite you to come and join our conference in the luster
atmosphere of Malta where already several highly dynamic mobile
applications between learning, tourism and local tourist services are
undertaken.

* Format of the Conference
The conference will comprise invited talks and oral presentations. The
proceedings of the conference will be published in the form of a book. The
best paper authors will be invited to publish extended versions of their
papers in selected Journals.

* Types of Submissions
Full and Short Papers, Posters/Demonstrations, Tutorials, Panels and
Doctoral Consortium. All submissions are subject to a blind refereeing
process.

* Topics related to Mobile Learning are of interest. The next list of key
words is just there to trigger your imaginations and research plans. It is
not an exclusive one.
- Mobile Learning
- PDAs in the Classroom
- Remote Group Simulations
- Science Teaching and PDA Field Experiments
- Joint Data Acquisition
- Mobile WWW-Connection
- Learning Teacher Networks
- Knowledge Sharing
- Distributed Expertise
- Mobile Consult
- Access to Learning Communities
- Collaborative Learning
- Mobile Video Conferencing
- Corporate Communication
- Content Formats for PDA Distribution
- Service Providers for Mobile Networks

* Important Dates:
- Submission Deadline (2nd CFP extended): 1 April 2005
- Notification to Authors: 22 April 2005
- Final Camera-Ready Submission and Early Registration: Until 29 April 2005
- Late Registration: After 29 April 2005
- Conference: Malta, 28 to 30 June 2005

* Conference Location
The conference will be held in Qawra, Malta.

* Secretariat
IADIS Secretariat - IADIS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE MOBILE LEARNING 2005
Rua Sao Sebastiao da Pedreira, 100, 3
1050-209 Lisbon, Portugal
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://www.iadis.org/ml2005

* Scientific Committee

Conference Co-Chairs
Pedro Isaías, Universidade Aberta (Portuguese Open University), Portugal
Carmel Borg, University of Malta, Malta

Program Co-Chairs
Piet Kommers, University of Twente, The Netherlands
Philip Bonanno, University of Malta, Malta

for the full Committee Members list please access
http://www.iadis.org/ml2005/committees.asp

* Co-located event
Please also check the co-located event e-Society 2005
(http://www.iadis.org/es2005/) - 27 to 30 June 2005

* Registered participants in the Mobile Learning conference may attend the
e-Society conference sessions free of charge.

* Check the PhD Summer School on "Educational Technology in a Cultural
Context" (http://www.educ.um.edu.mt/etcc/)